Project Title: Emergency Power Rehabilitation Project
Grant Amount: US$20 million
Project Objective: The objective of the Emergency Power Rehabilitation Project (EPRP) is to provide an improved and more reliable power supply to the people in Kabul. Improvements in the other main provincial cities of the country will depend on the availability of cofinancing.
- 70% increase in grid-supplied power consumption by customer in Kabul
- 100 MW of hydropower capacity rehabilitated
- 11 km of 110 kV line constructed to connect Chimtallah 220 kV substation with Kabul network and 2 nos. 110 KV substations upgradedin Kabul City.
- MV backbone distibution system in Kabul is upgraded
- DABM is corporatized as a commercial entity
Project Title: Strengthening Higher Education Program
Grant Amount: US$5 million
Project Objective: The development objective of the Strengthening Higher Education Program is to progressively restore basic operational performance at a group of core universities in Afghanistan, which will provide an institutional base for tertiary education development, capacity building and reform.
- Percent of project faculties using revised and updated curriculum
- Increased percentage of faculty members with at least Master level degrees
- Percent of administrators at the university level and MOHE staff with management training.
- Percent increase in efficient use of labs, libraries and other facilities in six universities.
- Simple strategic plan developed and made operational by mid term.
- Management Information System developed and introduced by midterm.
Project Title: Horticulture and Livestock Productivity Project
Grant Amount: US$49.3 million
Project Objective: The development objective of the Horticulture and Livestock Productivity Project is to assist producer households in adopting improved practices so as to increase horticulture and livestock productivity and production in focus areas.
- 15 % increase in productivity in target farmers orchards
- 3000 ha of new orchards established with at least 60 % of saplings surviving
- At least 20 % increase in producer price for the products where the value chain pilot is implemented
- Reduced mortality rate of livestock (5 % in large ruminants ; 10 % in small ruminants; 20 % in poultry)
- Incremental production of 12 million eggs and 200 tons of meat per year achieved
- Comprehensive feasibility study of dairy development completed, providing recommendations for the way-forward
- Functioning horticulture and livestock extension and other services in place
- At least 50% of target farmers adopt at least two best suitable practices in focus districts
- At least 60% of target producer households adopt improved poultry raising practices in focus districts
Project Title: Afghanistan Skills Development Project
Grant Amount: US$9 million
Project Objective: The development objective of the Afghanistan Skills Development Project is to increase access to high quality vocational education and training in the areas of Management, Administration and ICT in a manner that is equitable, efficient and sustainable.
- Increase in the number of graduates from project financed institutions and training centers as compared to baseline of non-reformed institutions.
- New institutional framework for TVET is realized and functioning, including the establishment of the Afghanistan National Qualification Authority, independent training boards (e.g.NVETB)
- Labor market outcomes, measured by employment status of trainees, are superior to the outcomes of comparable control groups
- Percent of employers of trainees graduated from reformed institutions agree that employees have improved their productivity through training relative to a baseline
Project Title: National Emergency Rural Access Project
Grant Amount: US$80 million
Project Objective: The development objective of the National Emergency Rural Access Project is to provide year-round access to basic services and facilities in the rural areas of Afghanistan covered by the project. This will be achieved through rehabilitation and maintenance of rural access infrastructure by contracting with the private sector and, to a lesser extent, with the communities. The achievement of the PDO will enhance the well being of the population and promote equitable licit economic growth in the country.
- % of reduction in travel time of beneficiaries living along the improved road to first available schools, health care facilities as well as administrative services
- % of increase in the no. of trips taken by beneficiaries living along the improved road to first available schools, health care facilities as well as administrative services
- % of difference in price of key consumption and production commodities between at beneficiary villages and in the nearest town
- Diversification of cropping patterns and income sources of beneficiaries living along the improved road
- Share of rural population with access to an all-season road
- Number of rural people with access to an all-season road
Project Title: Second Education Quality Improvement Program (EQUIP)
Grant Amount: US$135 million
Project Objective: The development objective of the Second Education Quality Improvement Program is to increase equitable access to quality basic education especially for girls through school grants, teacher training and strengthened institutional capacity with support from communities and private providers.
- Increase in girls enrollment
- Increase in boys enrollment
- Number of additional qualified primary teachers resulting from project interventions.
- Number of additional classrooms built or rehabilitated at the primary level resulting from project interventions.
- System for learning assessment at the primary level
Project Title: Kabul-Aybak/Mazar-e-Sharif Power Project
Grant Amount: US$57 million
Project Objective: The development objective of the Kabul-Aybak/Mazar-e-Sharif Power Project is to help provide reliable and quality power to the consumers in the target areas of the city of Kabul and Aybak.
- Increase in power supply to project areas in Kabul (in MWh).
- Providing grid power supply access to the people of Aybak (% of population).
- Increase in power supply to customers in Mazar-e-Sharif (in MWh)
Project Title: Rural Enterprise Development Program
Grant Amount: US$16 million
Project Objective: The development objective of the Rural Enterprise Development Program is to “improve employment opportunities and income of rural men and women, and sustainability of targeted local enterprises.”
- 70% of Enterprise Groups (EGs) will have increased their net revenues by over 50%. At least 35% female.
- At least 30% of participating SMEs and EGs will have increased direct and/or indirect employment by at least 30%. At least 35% will be women.
- On an average, SMEs will report at least a 50% increase in purchase of inputs from rural areas.
- 50% of EGs supported by the Project will still be operating 2 years after start up. At least 35% will be female
Project Title: Afghanistan Power System Development Project
Grant Amount: US$60 million
Project Objective: The development objective of the Afghanistan Power System Development Project is to increase access to grid power and the quantity of available power to the consumers in the target areas of the urban centers at Pul-e-Khumri, Charikar, Gulbahar, and Jabul-Seraj.
- Increase in electricity access rate in Charikar, Doshi, Gulbahar and Jabul-Seraj (% of households).
- Increase in power supply quantity to project areas in Pul-e-Khumri; Charikar, Gulbahar and Jabul-Seraj (in MWh).
- Initiation of the energy efficiency promotion activities in Afghanistan.
Project Title: Technical Assistance for Water-sector Capacity Building
Grant Amount: US$5.5 million
Project Objective: The development objective of the Technical Assistance for Water-sector Capacity Building is to build capacity to progressively undertake strategic basin planning and to improve project preparation for water resources development.
- The new units established at Ministry of Energy and Water (Water Resources Planning Unit and Project Preparation Unit) staffed withadequately trained staff and consultants
- Knowledge base and analytical tools developed for Kabul and other targeted basins
- Investment priorities in Kabul and other targeted basins identified
- Number of preparation studies completed for priority investment options (at least to pre-feasibility levels)
Project Title: Strengthening Health Activities for the Rural Poor (SHARP)
Grant Amount: US$46 million
Project Objective: The development objective of the Strengthening Health Activities for the Rural Poor is to support the Government in achieving the Health Nutrition Sector Strategy goal to contribute to improving the health and nutritional status of the people of Afghanistan, with a greater focus on women and children and under-served areas of the country.
- Pregnant women receiving antenatal care during a visit to a health provider
- Children immunized
- Number of consultations per person per year
Project Title: National Solidarity Program III
Grant Amount: US$350 million
Project Objective: The development objective of the National Solidarity Program III is to build, strengthen, and maintain community development councils (CDCs) as effective institutions for local governance and social-economic development.
- Minimum of 70% sampled communities recognize CDCs as the legitimate institution and respresentative of communities
- Minimum of 60% of CDCs perform their functional mandates in the areas of community development and coordination, project implementation and conflict resolution
- Minimum of 70% of sampled communities have improved access to services.
- Minimum of 70% of sampled women representatives in the CDCs take active part in decision-making related to community development
- At least 50% of total beneficiaries are female
Project Title: On Farm Water Management
Grant Amount: US$42 million
Project Objective: The development objective of the On Farm Water Management is to improve agricultural productivity in project areas by enhancing the efficiency of water used.
- Productivity of agricultural crops in project areas increased by 30%
- Water User Organizations capable to adequately perform O&M tasks
- Water use efficiency in project areas improved by 25%
- MAIL staff in project areas capable to plan, implement and monitor OFWM programs
- Effective and efficient project organization established.
Project Title: Second Public Financial Management Reform Project (PFMR II)
Grant Amount: US$60 million
Project Objective: The Project’s development objective is to strengthen public financial management through effective procurement, treasury and audit structures and systems in line with sound financial management standards of monitoring, reporting and control.
- Donors shift 20% of their off-budget official development assistance to Afghanistan to on-budget
- PEFA ratings for internal audit (P-21) improve to B.
- PEFA ratings for internal audit (P-26) improve to B.
- At least 50% of procurement under the budget is done by line ministries
- conducting stand-alone procurement
- increased number of functions carried out by regular ministry staff that were
- previously carried out by contracted staff
Project Title: Improving Agricultural Inputs Delivery System
Grant Amount: US$2.4 million
Project Objective: The development objective of the Improving Agricultural Inputs Delivery System Project (IAIDS) is to increase adoption of improved crop production technologies through expanding development of certified seeds and improving access to agricultural inputs of reliable quality.
Project Title: Capacity Building for Results Facility
Grant Amount: US$350 million
Project Objective: The development objective of the Capacity Building for Results Facility project is to assist the Government in improving the capacity and performance of select line ministries in carrying out their mandates and delivering services to the Afghan people. This is achieved through the implementation of specific capacity and institution building programs, which include systematic monitoring of and reporting on results.
- development budget execution rate improvements,
- business process improvements and
- service delivery improvements, in participating line ministries
Project Title: Justice Services Delivery II Project
Grant Amount: US$2.75 million
Project Objective: The development objective of the Justice Services Delivery II Project is to increase access to and use of legal services. This objective will be achieved through: enhanced capacity of state justice institutions; strengthened capacities, incentives and accountabilities of service providers to increase access to services; and easier access to legal information.
Project Title: Irrigation Rehabilitation and Development Project
Grant Amount: US$48.4 million
Project Objective: The development objective of the Irrigation Rehabilitation and Development Project (IRDP) is to increase agriculture productivity and production in the project areas.
- about 15 percent increase in the irrigated area;
- at least 20 percent increase in crop yields in rehabilitated schemes;
- availability of improved hydro-meteorological data to support planning and preparation of irrigation and water resources development investments; and
- improved capacity of MEW staff in various fields.