How to Apply
The World Bank Group receives a very large number of applications every year. In order to manage this volume we can only accept applications for advertised positions, received through our online application form.
- You must be a citizen of a member country of the World Bank to be eligible for employment.
- You must be older than 18 years and not older than 60 years at time of application.
- Vacancy closing dates are based on EST/EDT (Washington, D.C. time). Applications for a vacancy must be submitted until 23:59 (11:59pm) EST/EDT, on the vacancy closing date.
- Please note that the application will disconnect after it has been open for 2 hours.
- Technical difficulties preventing you from submitting your online application can stem from various causes (poor internet connection, firewalls, file size of attachments, etc.) In most cases, applying again later will resolve the problem. In the unlikely event that the problem persists, contact us through email@example.com and we will support you in submitting your application. Please specify the job number for which you are applying and provide us with a detailed description (or a "screen shot") of any error message you experienced. Do not send your CV or application to this email address as we will not be able to consider such applications.
Please read the following instructions carefully and use them as a guide to assist you with the application process.
- It will take you approximately 15 to 20 minutes to apply.
- Please ensure you gather all information before you apply, as you will not be able to save your application as a draft.
- If you have previously applied for a position at the World Bank Group, data from your first application will be pre-filled into the application form. You will have the opportunity to review and update this information as needed.
Browse our current vacancies, to find a position of your interest. Click on “Job Title” to view the job description. When you are ready to begin the application process, press the “Apply” button. You will then be redirected to our “Member Center” to register a new account or to log-in.
Note: If you are logged-in already, e.g. after checking the status of another application, the system will take you directly to the application form.
Note: If you have applied to a World Bank position in the past, but not registered through our “Member Center” you need to create a new user. Your user ID associated with our old online application system (before October 7, 2005), has not been transferred to the new system and will not work.
Your Member Center account will also allow you to log-in to our system at any time to :
- Check the status of your application.
- Update your contact information.
- Register for the Job Search Agent (receive email notifications about jobs that match your search criteria).
- Use other World Bank services such as Photo Library and Newsletters.
Register as a new user
Click on “Create Account” on the left hand menu of the Member Center.
On the following screen you will be asked a few questions about yourself. This is not part of your application; it is used to create your World Bank Member Center account only. However, we will use the email address you enter as your user name for all electronic communication with you. If you need to change your email address at a later stage, please sign in to the Member Center and chose "Update your account".
Log-in with your Member Center User ID
If you have created a user account at the Member Center before, enter your User ID and Password to log-in. Data from your last application (using the registration through the Member Center) will be pre-filled into the application form.
After successful log-in, the system will present you with a 6-step application form.
Note: Some jobs require you to answer additional questions about yourself, in which case the application form consists of 7 steps)
Screen 1: Creating your Online ApplicationThe first screen informs you how to navigate through the application and provides general instructions.
Screen 2: Contact DetailsThis screen requires the following input - mandatory information is marked with (*):
- Name, date of birth, address and contact information (*)
- Your gender and nationality / nationalities (*)
- Your current relationship with the World Bank Group
- Information about relatives working at the World Bank and whether your spouse / domestic partner works at the World Bank or International Monetary Fund (*)
- Your ability and willingness to frequently travel by air
Screen 3: Current and Prior Employment
This screen requires the following input – mandatory information is denoted with (*):
- Name(s) of current and/or prior employer(s) (*)
- Employment dates (from – to, month/year) (*)
- Experience in developing countriesAreas and years of expertise (to picked from a list of competencies) (*)
- Regional experience
Screen 4: Education and Language Skills
This screen requires the following input – mandatory information is marked with (*):
- Name and type of up to two schools / universities attended (*)
- Degrees worked toward and status (*)
- Dates of attendance (from – to, month/year) (*)
- Major area of concentration (for each degree) (*)
- Command of languages and skill level (excellent, good, fair) (*)
Screen 5: Statement of Interest and CV
- On this screen you can inform us how you learned about the position and provide your notice period with your current employer (if applicable).
- Although the Bank operates in many different languages, we ask that you submit your Statement of Interest and CV in English language only.
- Please enter your Statement of Interest for the position you are applying for. Explain, in no more than 700 words (approx. 2 pages), your motivation / reason for applying for this position.
- You will be asked if you prefer to upload a CV / resume file or paste the text into the system.
- Do not protect it with any kind of password.
- Do not include pictures of yourself in your CV.
- You can only attach one single file; the maximum file size is 150 KB.
- Only the following types of files are allowed: .pdf, .doc, .rtf, .txt, .html
Screen 6: Additional questions (for some positions only)
For some positions, additional questions relating to your professional career to date will be presented to you. You must answer all questions, the answers are “multiple choice”.
If you are invited to an interview, you will be asked to provide more details on the answers you selected.
Screen 6/7: Verify and certify your information - submit your application
On this screen you will be asked to review the information you provided and to submit your online-application. Hiring managers will have access to applications immediately upon submittal. Therefore, once your application is submitted, you will only be able to modify contact information.
After you press the submit button, the system will check for any missing mandatory data and take you to the respective screen to complete the information. After you completed the missing information, you can go back directly to the “Submit Application” screen by using the circled numbers on top of the screen.
The system will confirm the receipt of your online application. You will also be sent an email within 24 hours acknowledging successful submission of your application.
At the end of the process you will have the opportunity to print a summary of your application. Please note that if you attached a CV file to your application, you will see this in the summary. However, you will not be able to open the file at this point.
Visit our website www.worldbank.org/jobs to Check the Status of Your Application at any time.
Our recruiting experts will evaluate your application, carefully examining your skills and experience to determine if your qualifications match the job requirements.
If you are short-listed for a position, you will be notified by e-mail and asked to log-in to the system and provide additional information about yourself, which will enable you to proceed in the selection process.
We will contact you to schedule an interview if you are selected as a possible candidate.
If you are not selected for the position, you will receive an e-mail informing you of this decision.