- Working at the World Bank
- Programs & Internships
- Junior Professional Associates
- Young Professional Programs
- Junior Professional Programs For Afro-Descendants
- MIGA Professionals Program
- Legal Associates
- Donor Funded Staffing Program
- Global Secondment Program
- Saudi Recruitment Program
- Voice Secondment Program
- Current Job Openings
- What is the purpose of the Young Professionals Program?
- What type of applicants are you looking for?
- How many professionals apply to the Program?
- How many professionals are accepted into the Program?
- How do I apply to the Program?
- Who should I contact regarding online application and Program questions?
What is the purpose of the Young Professionals Program?
Since its inception in 1963, the Young Professionals Program has recruited over 1,500 people from nearly 90 different countries, who now range from new recruits to vice presidents in the World Bank. The Program is designed to attract outstanding, highly qualified, experienced and motivated individuals who have demonstrated a commitment to development, supported by academic success, professional achievement and potential for leadership. The Program recruits through a highly selective and competitive process and then facilitates their rapid integration into the World Bank's business and culture. Back to top
What type of applicants are you looking for?
Young Professionals are recruited from throughout the world, and they represent various academic and professional backgrounds. Young Professionals are hired based on the business needs of the World Bank, with the profile to be "Integrators" and the potential to become future leaders of the institution.
The aim of the Program is to identify candidates with "T-Shaped" skills, where an individual has not only expertise in the form of technical depth but professional breadth including the ability to "see the bigger picture" as well as the client engagement and team skills that are essential to our work.
More specifically, we assess candidates for Professional Expertise, Client Orientation, and Team Leadership skills, and ensure that they view development as being holistic and have the ability to work in a multi-sectoral manner. Back to top
How many professionals apply to the Program?
We receive about 10,000 applications each year for a limited number of positions, and most of the candidates exceed the minimum criteria. Back to top
How many professionals are accepted into the Program?
Every year, around 30 future leaders are accepted into the Young Professionals Program. Back to top
How do I apply to the Program?
Make sure you meet all eligibility requirements and review the application process thoroughly before accessing the online application. Once you are ready to apply, you will be asked to register for an account and provide an email address to complete the application. It takes 15 to 30 minutes to complete an application. Ensure that you have all the necessary information available and a CV to attach. Note that you must complete your application in a single session - you cannot save an application in progress, and you can only submit a completed application. Back to top
Who should I contact regarding online application and Program questions?
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions. For problems with applying online please include the Job Number or Employment Program. Applicants are asked not to contact the Program or Bank staff for information on their application status. Back to top
Am I Eligible?
- 32 years of age or younger
- A Master’s degree and 3+ years relevant professional experience or continued academic study at doctoral level
- Specialization in a field relevant to World Bank operations
- Fluency in English and in another World Bank working language
Ready to Apply?Confirm you have everything you need.
Download the YPP BrochureThe Young Professionals Program: A Career in International Development