Hanoi, December 6th, 2011
Venue: Grand Plaza Hotel, Hanoi
The Consultative Group (CG) for Vietnam will hold its annual meeting on December 6th, 2011 in Hanoi, Vietnam. The overarching theme of the meeting will be “Accelerating economic restructuring and poverty reduction”.
Topics for discussions include:
• Vietnam’s Macroeconomic Context and Restructuring Agenda: Macroeconomic Performance in 2011 and priorities for 2012, and Overview of restructuring agenda and public investment restructuring.
• Restructuring the Financial Sector.
• New poverty dynamics: Urbanization, migration and poverty/Policy response.
• Report Back from Aid Effectiveness Forum/Busan High Level Forum Outcomes and Anti-corruption Dialogue
Ahead of the CG, a separate Vietnam Business Forum (VBF) - a structured and on-going dialogue between the Vietnamese Government and the business community. was held on Friday, December 2nd, 2011 in Hanoi, by the World Bank Group's member - the International Finance Corporation (IFC) in cooperation with the Ministry of Planning and Investment. Themed “The next phase of competitive growth”, this year’s Forum was dedicated to the following topics:
• Investment Climate Perception presented by Local & Foreign Business Associations
• Brief on Vietnam’s economy in 2011 and development plan for 2012
• Reports from VBF Working Groups
The CG for Vietnam consists of representatives from the Government of Vietnam, Bilateral and Multilateral Donors, and Non – Governmental Organizations. The Government delegation is expected to be led by Prime Minister Nguyen Tan Dung, and will include senior representatives from key ministries and governmental bodies. The Chairpersons of the CG are Messrs. Bui Quang Vinh, Minister of Planning and Investment, and Madam Victoria Kwakwa, World Bank Country Director for Vietnam. The previous CG Meeting was held in Hanoi on December 7th – 8th, 2010.
Agenda for CG 2011 Meeting:
|8:00 -8:30 || Opening|
• Welcome remarks by H. E. Mr. Bùi Quang Vinh, Minister, Ministry of Planning and Investment, CG Co-Chairperson
• Opening address by Ms Victoria Kwakwa, World Bank Country Director for Vietnam, World Bank, CG Co-Chairperson
|8:30 –9:00 || Statements from Development Partners|
|9:00 – 10:15|| Vietnam’s Macroeconomic Context and Restructuring Agenda|
• Macroeconomic performance in 2011 and priorities for 2012. Overview of restructuring agenda, public investment restructuring.
• IMF statement
• Experience on restructuring the financial sector from Malaysia
|10:15 - 10:45|| Prime Minister's Remarks|
|11:00 – 11:30 || Restructuring the Financial Sector|
• Government report
|11:30 – 12:30||• Open Discussion on Vietnam’s macroeconomic context and restructuring agenda|
• Open Discussion on restructuring the financial sector
|14:15 – 16:00 || New poverty dynamics|
• Urbanization, migration and poverty/Policy response
|16:30 – 17:15|| Report Back|
• AEF/Busan HLF Outcomes
• Anti-corruption Dialogue
|17:15 –17:30 || Closing Session|
• Summary by Ms. Victoria Kwakwa, World Bank Country Director for Vietnam, CG Co-Chairperson
•Summary by H. E. Mr. Bùi Quang Vinh, Minister, Ministry of Planning and Investment, CG Co-Chairman
|17:30 – 18:00|| Press Conference (Press Release)|