Join us for the official launch of Exporter Dynamics Database, the first database which provides measures of exporter characteristics and dynamics in 45 countries.
- Introductory Remarks: Aaditya Mattoo, Research Manager, DECTI
- Presentation: Ana M. Fernandes, Senior Economist, DECTI
- Discussion: Caroline Freund, Chief Economist, MENA and David Hummels, Professor of Economics, Purdue University
Countries Do Not Export, Firms Do
Currently available trade data provides a good picture of the flows of goods across countries. However, there is no systematic source of information on the firms that export.
The Exporter Dynamics Database fills this gap by providing novel data on the characteristics and dynamics of exporting firms in 45 countries (developing and developed) in all geographical regions. This major data collection effort is in progress and country coverage is expected to expand in the future.
The Exporter Dynamics Database contains information on the basic characteristics of exporters:
- their size and growth
- their distribution by size
- their diversification in terms of products and destination markets
- their dynamics (entry, exit and survival)
- the average unit prices of the products they trade.
The measures contained in the Exporter Dynamics Database can greatly enhance our understanding of the micro foundations of export growth and lead to more informed policy-making.
If you have any questions about the workshop, please contact Michelle Chester at 202-458-2010 or send a message to email@example.com.