- Bank Privatization in Sub-Saharan Africa: The Case of Uganda Commercial Bank , joint with George R.G. Clarke and Michael Fuchs, World Development, 37(9), September 2009, pp. 1506-1521.
Microfinance Meets the Market, joint with Asli Demirgüç-Kunt and Jonathan Morduch, Journal of Economic Perspectives, 23(1), Winter 2009, pp. 167-192. Corporate Governance and Bank Performance: A Joint Analysis of the Static, Selection, and Dynamic Effects of Domestic, Foreign, and State Ownership, joint with Allen N. Berger, George R.G. Clarke, Leora Klapper, and Gregory F. Udell, Journal of Banking and Finance 29(8-9), August-September 2005, pp. 2179-2221. Foreign Bank Entry: Experience, Implications for Developing Economies, and Agenda for Further Research, with G. Clarke, R. Cull, M. Martinez Peria, S. Sanchez, World Bank Research Observer, vol. 18, no. 1, 25-59. March 2003.
One Market, Two Markets, Three Markets, Four? The Network of Finance: Capital Market Integration – the U.S. and the U.K., 1865-1913, joint with Lance E. Davis, Annales, 3, May 1992, pp. 633-674.
Chapters in Books
- Microfinance Tradeoffs: Regulation, Competition, and Financing, joint with Asli Demirguc-Kunt, and Jonathan Morduch, in Beatriz Armendariz and Marc Labie, eds., The Handbook of Microfinance, Hackensack, NJ: World Scientific Publishing, 2011.
- Banking Sector Stability, Efficiency, and Outreach in Kenya, joint with Thorsten Beck, Michael Fuchs, Jared Getenga, Peter Gatere, John Randa, and Mircea Trandafir, in Christopher S. Adam, Paul Collier, and Njuguna S. Ndung’u, eds., Kenya: Policies for Prosperity, Oxford University Press, 2010.
- Crises as Catalysts for Foreign Bank Activity in Emerging Markets, joint with Maria Soledad Martinez Peria, in Justin Robertson, ed., Power and Politics After Financial Crisis: Rethinking Foreign Opportunism in Emerging Markets, New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2008.
- Achieving Privatization: Empirical Studies, joint with George R.G. Clarke and Mary Shirley), in G. Caprio, J. Fiechter, R. Litan, and M. Pomerleano, eds., The Future of State-Owned Financial Institutions, Washington, DC: Brookings Institution Press, 2004.
- International Capital Movements, Domestic Capital Markets, and American Economic Growth, 1820-1914, joint with Lance E. Davis, in S. Engerman and R. Gallman, eds., The Cambridge Economic History of the United States, Volume 2, Cambridge: Cambridge Univ. Press., 2000.
- The Effect of Foreign Entry on Argentina’s Domestic Banking Sector, joint with George R.G. Clarke, Laura D’Amato, and Andrea Molinari, in Stijn Claessens and Marion Jansen, eds., Internationalization of Financial Services: Issues and Lessons for Developing Countries, London: Kluwer Law, 2000.
[Reprinted as, “El impacto de la entrada de extranjeros en los bancos domésticos de Argentina,” in Financial Crisis and Policy Responses, Fundación para la Educación Superior y el Desarrollo (Fedesarrollo), Bogotá, Colombia, 2002.]
- Provincial Bank Privatization in Argentina: The Why, the How, and the So What, joint with George R.G. Clarke, Proceedings of the World Bank/Dallas Federal Reserve Conference on Bank Privatization, Harvey Rosenblum, ed., Dallas, TX: Dallas Federal Reserve, March 2000.
- Political Determinants and Economic Effects of Bank Privatization in Argentina, joint with George R.G. Clarke, in Frank Columbus, ed., Political Science and Economics of Latin America, Huntington, NY: Nova Science Publishers, 2001.
[Reprinted as, “Determinantes políticos y efectos económicos de la privatización de los bancos en Argentina,” in Financial Crisis and Policy Responses, Fundación para la Educación Superior y el Desarrollo (Fedesarrollo), Bogotá, Colombia, 2002.]
Work in Progress
"Banks and Microbanks,” joint with Asli Demirgüç-Kunt and Jonathan Morduch.
“The African Financial Development Gap,” joint with Franklin Allen, Elena Carletti, Jun Qian, and Lemma Senbet.
“Job Growth and Finance: Are Some Financial Institutions Better Suited to Early Stages of Development than Others?” joint with L. Colin Xu.
“Banks, the Government, and Financial Constraints: Evidence from a Large Sample of Chinese Firms,” joint with Wei Li, Bo Sun, and L. Colin Xu.
“External Finance and Firm Survival in the Aftermath of the Crisis: Evidence from Eastern Europe and Central Asia,” joint with George R.G. Clarke and Gregory Kisunko.
“Improving Access to Banking: Evidence from Kenya,” joint with Franklin Allen, Elena Carletti, Jun Qian, and Lemma Senbet, and Patricio Valenzuela.
World Bank Documents
- "Challenges to Enterprise Performance in the Face of the Financial Crisis: Eastern Europe and Central Asia," Report No. 62703, January 2011.
- "Financial Sector Assessment: Syrian Arab Republic," Report No. 47595, February 2009.
- "Access to Finance and Economic Growth in Egypt," Report No. 41305, January 2007.
- "Nigeria: Competitiveness and Growth, Country Economic Memorandum," Report No. 36486-NG, May 2007.
- "OED Review of Bank Assistance for Financial Reform," World Bank Operations Evaluation
Department, Report No. 33030, July 2005.
- "Implementation Completion Report, South Africa: Industrial Competitiveness and Job Creation Project (TF-22577 SCL-41730)," Report No. 32786, June 2005.
- “Turkey: Country Economic Memorandum. Towards Macroeconomic Stability and Sustained Growth,” Report No. 26301-TU, July 2003.
- “Implementation Completion Report, Mexico: Bank Restructuring Facility Adjustment Loan (FSLT-70030),” Report No. 23337, December 2001.
- “World Development Report 2002: Building Institutions for Markets,” September 2001.
- “Uruguay: Financial Sector Review,” Report No. 20199-UR, Country Management Unit: Argentina, Chile, Uruguay; Latin America and the Caribbean Region, November 2000.
- “Implementation Completion Report, Argentina: Provincial Bank Privatization Loan (3878-AR) and Argentina: Bank Reform Loan (3926-AR),” Report No. 19467, June 1999.
- “Argentina: Financial Sector Review,” Report No. 17864-AR, Country Management Unit: Argentina, Chile, Uruguay; Latin America and the Caribbean Region, September 1998.
- “Financial Sector Reform: A Review of World Bank Assistance,” Report No. 17454, Operations Evaluation Department, March 1998.
- “Argentina: The Fiscal Dimension of the Convertibility Plan: The Privatization of Argentina’s Public Provincial Banks,” Report No. 16861-AR, Country Management Unit: Argentina, Chile, Uruguay; Latin America and the Caribbean Region, September 1997.
U.S. Government Documents
- “Minority Commercial Broadcast Ownership in the United States,” (joint with Louis Camphor and others), Staff Paper, NTIA Minority Telecommunications Development Program, June 1996.
- “Capital Formation and Investment in Minority Business Enterprises in the Telecommunications Industries,” (joint with Raymond Suarez), Staff Paper, NTIA Minority Telecommunications Development Program, April 1995.
- “Personal Communications Services Auction: Further Analysis,” (joint with Mark M. Bykowsky), Staff Paper, NTIA Office of Policy Analysis and Development, February 1994.
- “Issues in Implementing a Personal Communications Services Auction,” (joint with Mark M. Bykowsky), Staff Paper, NTIA Office of Policy Analysis and Development, November 1993, (attached to NTIA Comments in Pending Proceeding, Docket No. 93-253, before the Federal Communications Commission).